Days Three & Four
Whether you chose to hike or take a vehicle, meander through miles of monsoon forests and semi-arid plains scanning the brush for Sri Lanka’s Big Five. Joined by guides steeped in local knowledge of the area, expect to encounter herds of Sri Lankan elephants, elusive leopards, and the exotic sloth bear in this vibrant and diverse landscape.
Days Five & Six
Throughout the day learn how local naturalists and advocates fight for the survival of these beautiful creatures, while maintaining healthy tourism and commercial fishing operations to sustain their local communities.
From the largest natural species in the world to the smallest, let’s take the opportunity to switch gears and learn how “Turtle Watch Rekawa” conservation project is protecting hawksbill, green, and leatherback turtles on Sri Lanka’s southern coast. Spend a few hours or the whole day volunteering with the group and assist in protecting these amazing species for future generations.
With time to spare, guests will speak with local community leaders and learn how the area rebounded after the 2004 Tsunami, while observing how U.S. government-funded schools and vocational programs assist in regenerating the community after the devastation.
- All overland transfers with private chauffeurs
- All domestic flights as part of selected itinerary
- All admission fees and activity expenses as noted in the itinerary
- All meals listed within the itinerary including daily breakfast
- All accommodations, based on double-occupancy, including breakfast, service charge, and tax
- International flights and domestic flights not part of selected itinerary
- Applicable Tourist Visas
- Travel, health, and trip cancellation insurance
- Gratuities for guides and chauffeurs
- Personal expenses